Saturday 19 November 2011

#74: Winter

Write about something that is important to you. (Hope College)

Almost every year, I used to go to Bodh Gaya for monlams, or prayers. These monlams are hosted by high monks of different sects of Buddhism, and every year, people from everywhere come for these prayers/teachings. Bihar is really not far from Delhi, so I've found it quite boring going to Bodh Gaya almost every winter holiday until a few years ago. A few years ago, I started to not go for these teachings every year. I didn't think it would make much of a difference. I was not very religious, I didn't know much about my own religion and all the complicated rules of society that seemed to come with it, and I couldn't understand any of these teachings because I wasn't good at speaking or understanding pure Tibetan.
Back to a few years ago... I started to miss going to Bodh Gaya. I missed the large crowds of people at the main stupa every day. I missed reluctantly going for daily circumambulation at the stupa everyday. I missed going for teachings that I couldn't understand much, sitting on the grass with my old uncle. I missed it all. I don't know how it happened. Maybe it was because of my mom telling me all the time how lucky I am to be living so close to a religious place, or because I understood everything better.
Truthfully speaking, it can't be any of those things. I still am very lost when it comes to behaviour and procedures when meeting a high monk and doing all these different things, and I've always known I was lucky. Maybe not always, but recently. It appears that the former reason could be playing a part in my sudden change of attitude.
After I started missing going to Bodh Gaya to do things that I embarrass myself in, I thought about how I could miss such a thing. I thought about it long and hard, and I realized that I missed it because it was important to me.
This annual event thing we had was very important for me. Every year at Bodh Gaya has held some special memory for me, whether it be seeing all my cousins together for the first time (that was... when I was 6 years old), meeting my best friend every morning at six o' clock to go for rounds around the stupa, or seeing people I know and don't know randomly. It was important for me because these events made me a part of my heritage and society, regardless of how untuned I was to this society.
Habits die hard, and this habit can't die. Going to Bodh Gaya every winter has become very important to me. It's not because I've become more religion (I have not), but due to a multitude of reasons I could probably tell you about if you were ever to talk to me. I can't go to Bodh Gaya this winter, and I actually feel sad about it, but maybe next year's possible?

2 comments: