Thursday 10 November 2011

#120: Water, Lots of it.

Tell about the most unforgettable experience you've ever had. 


I don't flail my arms like an injured bird anymore. I don't swim like Michael Phelps either, but I still wanted to swim at the beach. My last day with my cousins, and I really wanted to go to the beach. 


We were waiting for my cousins outside the ticket counter. The tickets were for ferries that took us to a small beach away from the city. Waiting wasn't so bad. I had a yellow balloon giraffe on my head, an environmental-friendly skittles box speaker in a plastic bag, and three scented pencils in my pocket. 


Ten minutes... Fifteen minutes... Thirty minutes... Forty five minutes.... Waiting was bad. I was tired and annoyed. As I sat on a bench, arms crossed, staring at the floor, I saw my day get worse. The light grey shade of the pavement was slowly turning dark and ominous as little drops of rain fell in dark blotches that seemed to represent my mood at that point. 


One hour passed, and I could finally see my cousins in the distance. As I tried to get them to hurry to the ticket booth, my mood turned lighter. I smiled a little at the food they had in their hands. Maybe the day wasn't going to be that bad. 


We went onto the ferry. It would have probably struck to others as a very bad idea. It was raining. It was pouring now, but my cousins were as determined as I was. They wanted to take me there because it was my last day. I wanted to go because it was my last day. It was a risk we were willing to take.


We reached the dock and were separated from each other as we were pushed forward by an invisible force. It was actually all the pushing and shoving as people piled out, but an "invisible force" just sounds cooler. 


Speed-walking towards the beach part of the island, my foot hurt. My rubber slippers were wet and they kept coming of my feet, making me step on the rocks every once in a while. Sighting sand and rocks, we starting walking even faster. The rain was still coming down, and our clothes were starting to cling to our skins. At last, we stopped under a large tree and opened our food. It was cold, we were hungry, and the wind was pelting raindrops on us in an almost harsh way, like the curving slice of a knife through air. The pizza was still warm and tasted oh-so-good with the dip, until the wind blew that away too, along with my giraffe. I felt full now, and the loss of my pet giraffe didn't faze me at all.


Changing into a swimsuit, I could hear the pitter-patter of raindrops on the roof of the changing room. It had turned into a soft tapping sound that was almost therapeutic and soothing. The rain was a slight drizzle now, and as we went towards the water, the sky got brighter. The sky displayed my emotions; cheerful, happy, and bright. I could see the sun turning a warm, sleepy yellow as it set. No wonder yellow was my favorite colour. 


My cousins were, by this time in the water, screaming and splashing each other. Everything seemed perfect at that moment, spending time with family that I hadn't seen for so long. Treading into the water with slow, careful steps, the frigid water made me want to stop and turn. I hated the cold. I couldn't do cold at all. Looking at everyone else having fun, I realized that there was no turning back now. I was in, and I'd have to remain in. 


Swimming for less than thirty minutes, we headed back towards the ferry. It was dark now, and it was pouring again. Changing into a t-shirt and a sarong, I covered my head with a towel and ran towards the dock. I could hear the splish-splash as I stepped into large puddles, and I could hear my cousins laughing as they struggled to cover their heads with a towel and run at the same time. 


Waiting in line for the ferry, I looked out across the water to the numerous white lights that were visible from the city. The line crawled forward but we finally made it on. Standing on the stern, I leaned forward and looked at the small waves that spread out away from the boat. If I turned my head to the left, I could see all my cousins; some sitting down and some standing right next to me. Tilting my head to my right, I saw lights, lights, and lots of light, ranging from a wide array of shades, at least to my eyes. 


Today, I had waited for an hour, worn a balloon animal on my head, run in the rain, eaten pizza in the rain, swam at the beach while it drizzled, worn a sarong (which was ironically pink, my least favourite colour), and spent half a day with my cousins. 


I've never done so many new things in one day, and I don't suppose that I'll be able to do this whenever I wish, but the rarity of such a moment makes this the most unforgettable experience I've ever had. 



No comments:

Post a Comment