Tuesday 22 November 2011

#182: Antarctica

If you were awarded an expense-paid trip to any one place in the world, where would you go? Why?


I wonder how cold it would be in Antarctica. I know I can look up the temperature its lowest or highest recorded temperature, but my wonder goes beyond numbers. I want to experience the coldness. I don't know what they eat. Can they even grow food there? Antarctica, for me, is like space.   It's a place I don't know much about. A place where I might discover new things. I might learn things that I never thought existed, or were even possible. Antarctica is like my "New World", and I want to go there. When I was in eighth grade, I remember a woman coming for the Writer's Festival that is now held in Woodstock every year. Her name was Gabrielle Walker, an author who wrote about climate change and energy. At that point, I think she had written, or was writing a book on Antarctica. 
When it was her turn to talk (after some other authors), she told stories about Antarctica. There were rolling snowballs becoming bigger and bigger as they rolled down a hill. There were winds that were stinging cold, and there were icicles that formed in the freezing temperature of Antarctica. When you read it right now, all these things sound dangerous and scary, but as I sat listening to her tell us all these stories about Antarctica, I felt anything but scared. 
There seemed nothing to be scared of when she told us all this. Instead, it seemed so exciting. This was most probably because of her passion and interest in the topic, which made all her experiences sound like fun adventures.
She seemed to have learnt a lot, experienced new things, and most of all, she seemed to have loved every bit of it. After hearing her, I wanted to see and experience Antarctica too. I wanted to learn about this continent that many people don't think or care much about. 
I became more aware of the environment and the problems of the Earth. I wanted to help the Earth, because I felt that it was not something that needed to be done. It was something that should be done. As I help, I want to learn and have fun while doing everything. I would want to include "going to Antarctica" on my list of things to be done by me.
I don't want to learn and know about this continent only through the words of other fortunate people who have been there. I want those words to be the words I say after my own first-hand experience in Antarctica. I'm sure there are quite a few people who have been to Antarctica by now, and they might know almost everything they thing there is to know about this continent, but for me, this continent will still be undiscovered, and it will remain undiscovered until I go there one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment