Friday 2 December 2011

#199: Public speaking and Prunes

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? People should sometimes do things that they do not enjoy doing.


I do not enjoy oral presentations. Public speaking's not my forte, and I get really, really nervous. A few days earlier, I had an oral presentation. I didn't choose to do it. I had to do it if I didn't want to fail English. So, I practiced hard, though that wasn't so obvious when I was actually presenting. I practiced for a long time, and I realized that I got nervous even while practicing alone! On the actual day, I went up and did my presentation and it sucked, but I finished it, and oral presentations didn't seem so bad afterwards. I enjoyed oral presentations, but just a little (about 0.05 percent). You can learn to enjoy something that you do not enjoy doing.
It was like prunes for me. I hated prunes. My mom made me eat them because they were healthy, and I came to school with prunes one year. I tried to eat one every day because I didn't want to waste it, and then I couldn't stop eating them! The school food was really bad and the prunes really tasted good, so I ate them all the time. I like prunes now. 
We don't enjoy a lot of things because we aren't used to doing them. You know how people say, "Don't judge a book by its cover"? It's just like that. We can't base our decisions or opinions on first trials. Doing things can become fun if we do them more than once, though we make assumptions after doing it just once.
Virgil Garnett Thomson once said, "Try a thing you haven't done three times. Once, to get over the fear of doing it. Twice, to learn how to do it. And a third time to figure out whether you like it or not." The things we don't enjoy doing could be because of our fears, or just because, but we have to do it again. We can learn to do it, and then decide whether you like or not. It makes sense, and though it won't work for everything, it should work with most.

No comments:

Post a Comment